Sunday 26 June 2011

The tension of being the favourite.......

Just played a club league singles match against Richard R who is very steady and has the reach of an octopus. I know that when I play loosely and well, he will have a very tough time. But if I get tentative, as at times I did today, then life gets a lot harder.

My main learning from today's game was that when I get tight and nervous, I start trying harder..I hold the racket tighter and I start hitting the ball hard, instead of just letting myself flow. Or I get more careful and push the ball around without any conviction. Its a paradox....when I hit the ball hard I hit out more and actually with less pop and spin. When I let it flow, my body is much more efficient and the ball travels faster with more spin, especially on the serve.

Thankfully I found the right balance at points throughout the match, and most importantly when serving for the match at 5-4 in the second set. No effort, no technical focus, just clarity on where I wanted to aim resulting in 80% first serves in with two unreturned. Game over.

I know that when I play a more aggressive, 'stronger' opponent, I relax more and focus more on what I have to do....anything else will mean I'll let them dominate me. Against less strong opponents I can be tempted into the counterpuncher's trap of waiting for them to make a mistake (Andy Murray). At my level that can mean not using my attacking game, and getting caught in tense indecision. In the end this is about making sure that I play my game, and stay committed to being the player I want to become. Aggressive, with flair and variation as well as tactical nowse. This way, even if I loose some matches, I stay improving, and longer term I win more matches. Today, whilst I got tense, I stayed aggressive, and many of my mistakes were 'good' ones, just long, when hitting through.

Keeping it simple and keeping the effort level at the right setting, are central areas for me. To get more consistent at doing this under pressure, I need to make sure I practice enough, and have practice at increasing levels of intensity. No points but structured practice. Points with a hitting partner but nothing at stake. Practice sets. Proper matches. How do you keep the balance right?

No comments:

Post a Comment