Saturday 18 June 2011

Pre Highgate Ratings

I'm playing my first round of the Highgate Ratings....its an open event which means no over 35's or 45's. So I'm going to have to work even harder than normal! But I'm excited and ready to get stuck in. There's a chance that I'll be playing someone I used to coach at BHP....which will be fun. 


I'm continuing to develop my mindfulness skills... meaning the ability to stay in the present, the ability to switch back to the task in hand, whatever I'm feeling or thinking. This is the most powerful approach to sport psych that I've discovered in many years. In the last few weeks I've found myself staying more focused and more able to be with each shot mentally as I play it.  The biggest learning has been letting go of my old belief that most of my thoughts were somehow important! It's been a revelation that many of them are just thoughts......and most of them are certainly not pearls of wisdom. This then frees me to focus on what I really want to do. Meditation has been at the heart of how I am now much more able to let go. So just as I practice bringing my focus back onto my breathing in meditation, I practice bringing my attention back to the ball and the task in hand as I play.


I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment