Sunday 19 June 2011

Defeat but no disgrace

Well after a few delays we took to the Brookside dirt. I used to coach Connor, my opponent at Bush Hill Park, so whatever the result it was great to see him again after 4 years, now 15 but looking like 18! 


Connor hits the ball with plenty of zip, a great forehand and a serve with good variety and at times pace. One of his most successful ploys was the high kicking ball wide to my backhand, from serve and in rallies. Federer doesn't like it, and neither do I! He was always looking to get onto his forehand, and anything short he managed to attack. 


First set
4-0 down wasn't looking good....not much better at 1-5, and then 1-6. I was playing well, enjoying it and yet it was one way on the scoreboard. In the rallies I had to be at my best just to get points, and getting 2 or 3 points most games without getting on top.


Second set
Continued much as the first set, quickly going 0-3 down. Well what to change? What's the B game here? I felt I was playing my own game but it wasn't good enough. The main change was getting more aggressive on returning his serve by only 10%, but it worked, meaning I could dictate at times and actually give him more to think about. Secondly I hit a very high percentage of good first serves, which meant I held serve every time from then onwards. Finally some success targeting his backhand, then the odd backhand down the line caught him off guard.


The key was in my focus.....on my serve I was even more in the moment, clear about where I wanted it to go, and then right in the present as I executed. Not thinking "I hope this goes........" or  having technical thoughts. Main development point is developing my poise and composure in staying in the zone to serve better throughout a match. 


So this is one of my best matches for staying in the present and not getting technical. Shame about the result.   

No comments:

Post a Comment