Saturday 27 August 2011

Why play tennis?


Why play tennis? Parts 1 & 2 

A ladder match safely negotiated against Chris Dixon, a bouncy, fast moving player, of my age with an all court game. However, my play was boring and unsatisfying. While I was determined to win and not lose, I strangled my own attempts to be aggressive. An example being a short ball that could be spanked away, I wrestled over the net with far too much top spin, and no penetration in fear that I would ‘make a mistake’. Aaaaaah.

So after the match Chris agreed to my request that we play a couple more games. I resolved to hit through every forehand and backhand I got. My God !! The ball kept going in with an exhilarating amount of power and feel. This why I play tennis...to feel powerful! - Why do you play?

Why Play Tennis 2: Finding my true purpose on the court.
I decided to build on Part 1 in my next practice session, this time with Chazz. I resolved to hit through the ball as my default, instead of attempting aggressive top-spin every ball. From the word go Chazz had less time, and I felt more powerful, hitting through to a much better depth. My technique is good enough to automatically generate enough top most of the time. This was the most dynamic practice session I can remember, the purpose for both of us to hit through without fear. For me:
1.       Lower trajectory
2.       Relax and really let go as I hit through – especially on short balls

Daniel Coyle refers to starting to get something right as the beginning of a practice session. So this is the beginning.  

No comments:

Post a Comment