Wednesday 3 August 2011

Rosewall or Ashe

In 1974, 21 year old Jimmy Connors took on the most elegant of players, 8 times grand slam winner Ken Rosewall (then aged 40), and dominated him in the Wimbledon final. Two years later Connors took on Arthur Ashe, then a mere 10 years his senior at 34, and this time the elder man triumphed in a tranquil display of flowing but determined tennis, never once letting Jimmy really get into his stride.

This was my challenge as I played 21 year old David England this evening. Against a very hard hitting 21 year old, could I find my own inner Arthur Ashe? My aim was to deny him rhythm and pace, but to stay positive, hit deep, vary the spin. With the expectation that I would have to work very hard. This worked well until 2-2 in the first set; he was out of sorts, making mistakes, and I felt absolutely in it. Then.......he hit his stride, and hit the ball 15% harder whilst cutting out most of his mistakes. I just couldn't live with his relentless hitting, lost my own depth and rhythm, and didn't win another game. He was just too good.

Reflections and learning?

  • Youth will have its day. Especially when disciplined and skilled. 
  • More practice against big hitters.
  • Aim to regain some of the serving aggression and accuracy I had in the autumn. At the moment its accurate and relaxed, now to rebuild the zip.

No comments:

Post a Comment