Tuesday 25 October 2011

In the grip of tension

Ladder match against Ahmad Z. For the uninitiated Amhmad tortures people on the tennis court. If you hit anything through the back of the court it comes back with far less pace, floating, hanging, taunting, almost inviting you to hit the next one harder in a forlorn attempt to prove one's potency and credentials on the court.

So called 'serious' players have been known to refer to Ahmad as a hacker, implying he's not worth their attention...... wrong! In one match I played when coach at Bush Hill Park, a teenager and his brother came off the court in a blind fury having played against Ahmad and self destructed. It can be a world of pain.

The best way of approaching every match is with the mindset of ' how am I going to play my game as well as possible?' and 'how do I solve the problems this player throws at me?'

With Ahmad I solved the problem because I am strong at the net. However I was less successful in playing the game I'm trying to develop- in particular the ability to generate pace off a slow ball. Related to this I'm only 30% there in improving my use of the ground to develop this power. I want to coil on the forehand and then start uncoiling by using my legs to unload the energy chain through the shot. Easier when there's pace, harder and a great test when the ball has no pace.

I could feel my muscles tensing as part of me wanted to put my new technique into practice, and part of me wanted to play safe and hit the ball in. Result a ball with little weight and a lot of arm. To really unload I have to stay loose. To stay loose I have to do this much more in practice.

This is where planning comes in. In tennis practice must be planned,with like minded players of a similar standard, practicing with intent, rather than just having a hit.

No comments:

Post a Comment